|I moustache you a question...|
1. Halt! Who goes there?Hey, I’m Madeline Courtney (call me Maddie) and a small summary of myself is easy; I read. And I Write… And I watch BBC all the time. That’s pretty much all I do. I come from the small city of Carthage, Missouri (population 19,000) and I’m going to marry Prince Henry someday. Also, I like to take the classics, rewrite them, and give them fantasy twists.
2. A little birdy told me you’re going to publish a book soon! Tell me some stuff about that.My book, THE CASE OF IRENE ADLER, is sort of a retelling of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s novel A SCANDAL IN BOHEMIA (published in 1891). This is the first novel in a series I plan on publishing. Here’s a quick summary:
Jonelle Watson: An abandoned gypsy woman, dying on the frozen streets of London 1875 on Christmas Day... but a strange man with the name Sherlock Holmes takes her. She is caught up in this whirlwind of helping the detective solve the strange case of Irene Adler... but things are not as they seem.
Irene Adler: Irene Adler had to use the pictures against the king... if she didn't she would die. The Man would not leave her alone and, for the longest time, she thought she was happy... until she encounters the great detective the king hired. He's different... he smells different... there's just something... not necessarily human about him. But as the case grows he is becoming dangerously close to uncovering her darkest secrets...
Murder. Love. Sex. And Immortality.
Thank you for interviewing me!
3. What are your three favorite things about being a writer?My three favorite things about being a Writer is 1) I get to live inside my head for as long as I want. 2) Writing is super fun. 3) I can basically tell people I’m crazy and they won’t think anything of it because I’m a Writer.
4. Would you rather be a horse or a fish?A horse. They’re pretty.
5. What’s the funniest thing you’ve ever said to someone that cracks you up whenever you think about it?My friend and I were play arguing and I said, “You smell like shit and you eat it.” Hey, I never said I was mature.
6. When you’ve hit a block and can’t seem to get the right words down, what do you do to motivate yourself?I think of all the people that told me I couldn’t do, that I’m never gonna make, that I’m going to end up living in a trailer, pregnant and stuck in the same damn town, and I tell myself, “You HAVE to do this. Not only to prove those bitches wrong, but to prove to yourself you can.”
7. Who is your favorite fictional character? Why?My favorite fictional character is Mr. Darcy from PRIDE AND PREJUDICE. He’s just so… hot. He’s such a jerk, but he doesn’t mean to be! And then she makes him angry and he gets even meaner and that makes her mad… Sigh. I LOVE Mr. Darcy.
8. Tell me about the first story you remember writing.It was about everything I loved about my mom… It was six pages with pictures. The spelling is so embarrassing!
9. Write a 100-word story about the main character from your novel.Jonelle’s eyes popped open without much effort on her part. She couldn’t see, couldn’t breathe. With every breath she took it felt as if she were inhaling sickening wood smoke, causing her to cough and choke on her own lungs. The only thing she could see was the faint glow of orange, as if she were stuck in a growing fire that would consume her, turn her body to ash like everything else in its path. But that was not the case. This was not fire. This was HER. SHE was the fire, the glowing entity. And she was dead.
10. Are people basically good or bad?I believe there are no bad people, just people that bad things have happened to.
11. If you could erase one thing from your memory, what would it be?This one time I walked in on my parents having sex. It was hideous! I want to erase THAT.
12. Would you rather have a monkey best friend that brings you coffee when you write, or a bear friend that hugs you when you’re cold?Bear best friend. I’m always cold and I hate it.
13. What if I told you this was your last day on Earth? What would you do to make the most of today?I would march straight up to Benedict Cumberbatch, wrap my arms around his neck, and kiss the crap out of him. (Much in the way Rose Tyler did with 10 in that episode of Doctor Who).
14. Tell me about a book that changed your life.I know this sounds super cheesy and stuff, but the book that changed my life was THE HUNGER GAMES because it really made think about how… good I have it. I mean, don’t get me wrong I totally hate my life, but it could worse. And for that I am thankful.
15. This is an open-floor question. You can tell me more about your upcoming book or a super embarrassing story involving being too drunk.One time I was at a friend’s house and we mixed everything her parents had into the blinder. It was GROSS. Peppermint stuff, red and white wine, this wine cooler, whiskey. And we all did a dare chug our glass down as fast as we could (the cup was about the size of a coffee mug). Needless to say, I woke up to a raging head, having to go into work, and a video on my phone of me stripping to STUPID HOE by Nicki Minaj.
Thank you for interviewing me!